Sunrise over Frenchman Bay
6 September 2026
On August 26, we had our first clear morning. I'd set my alarm for 5:40 a.m. but I woke up before that.
All I needed to do was to pull the curtains aside and open the window. Sitting in my nightshirt on the floor, I aimed the camera straight out to the bay. As luck would have it, our room faced exactly where the sun would come up.
I did stand up once or twice, or sit on the window sill, so that I could aim the camera more towards the harbor.
The sun appeared over the Schoodic Peninsula at 5:48 a.m.
I texted a few pictures to the rest of the group, explaining "this is what I pay stupid money for."
I took my last picture at 5:56 a.m. and went back to sleep for another hour.
Dressed in my bike clothes, I met Heddy, Jeff, and Ginger for an early breakfast while Jack was slowly rousing himself.
Jeff left for the Bar Harbor Bicycle Shop to pick up his rental e-bike. He missed the yearling herring gull, who swooped down to an adjacent table, stole a donut, and took it to the pool. There, the bird alternately pecked at the pastry and drank, eventually devouring most of the sopping donut.
Smart kid. The bird has a bright future as a food thief.
Out in the bay was a giant cruise ship, the first of the season (the moratorium kerfuffle having curbed reservations from the biggest ships).
I took pictures of more of the landscaped flowers on the way back to the room.
We would have the full compliment of Bar Harbor Hill Slugs on the ride today. The weather was looking perfect.
No comments:
Post a Comment