Monday, September 7, 2026

Hill Slugs in Bar Harbor 8: Bar Harbor Sunset and Moonrise

 

Moonrise over Frenchman Bay


7 September 2026

Having climbed Cadillac Mountain on their bikes for the first time, the Atlantic House folks decided to eat in. Our Jeff, Ginger, and Heddy were lobster-bound with Elaine and Frank over at Abel's. Jack and I sat on the porch at Porcini's as a Zygiella x-notata built her web over our heads. I'm always happy to be in the presence of a Ziggy.


After I'd had my fill of protein, we walked through town to the pier. On the way, I saw a hummingbird at a potted plant outside one of the shops. I got some blurry photos with my phone. They were good enough for a positive identification on iNaturalist as a ruby-throated hummingbird.




An inflatable movie screen was set up in Agamont Park for an evening showing of some kid's film I'd never heard of.


Jack sat on his usual bench while I sat on a lobster trap on the floating dock and watched the clouds change color.
































Ginger and Heddy, back from Abel's Lobster Pound, found us on the pier.


Jack, his feet aching, reluctantly agreed to walk along the Shore Path.






My Canon is no good in low light, so I let my phone camera take over,




Every few yards, we'd stop again because the moon would look different.












Whoops!




We got ice cream at CJ's because it was the nearest thing.

We had another ride planned for the next day, a road ride outside of the park. Before I could send a text to set the start time, Rickety wrote that he and Cheryl would be walking around inside the park instead. Jim then texted that he was "rethinking quite a large number of life choices" and would be driving to the Schoodic Peninsula with Regina to do a 10-mile loop there.

No comments: