Pakim Pond
23 September 2026
On the morning of September 12, Our Jeff led a ride from Arney's Mount Park to Pakim Pond in the Pinelands. The route was more or less a shortened version of the one Tom has that leaves from Mansfield Park and loops south to Tabernacle.
Whenever we're riding on Four Mile Road, I spiral into grad school flashbacks as we get closer to the Rutgers Pinelands Field Station. Except that it's not the field station anymore. I noticed recently that the sign is gone. This week, I finally asked a grad school friend who spent her career at the Pinelands Commission if she knew anything. She asked around and found out that there was a spat between the USGS, who owns the property, and Rutgers, who ran the field station. Rutgers moved out three years ago. I was last on the property almost 30 years ago.
We got spread out on Four Mile Road and recollected at the turn onto Upper Mill Road.
The Outdoor Club of South Jersey was holding an event at Pakim Pond. The parking lot was full. I walked down to the water's edge to look for any dragonflies who might still be around this late in the season.
I found a "pond spreadwing," apparently.
There was a surprisingly large female grass spider in the bathroom.
We rode on the shoulder of Route 72 and crossed over to the Wawa near the Four Mile traffic circle. That Wawa is one of the old ones, with no bathrooms and no gas station. It's been there at least since I was in grad school.
On Ong's Hat Road, I doubled back for the cow with enormous horns.
Our Jeff wants to do this ride again when the leaves start to change color. There are a lot of oaks in the park. The display might not be as dazzling as he's hoping. Oaks don't play that game.
Each horn was tipped with a shiny ball, bling to keep the creature out of trouble.
I remember the intersection of Burrs Mill Road at Pemberton Road from the time I attempted a century while battling some sort of gut bug. The ride did not go well. I'm too lazy to go digging for the blog link because I don't remember what year that was.
At the end of the ride, we did an extra loop through Arney's Mount Park. Heddy wanted to see the troll we'd passed last time.
We followed the path up then down and around the park.
At the top, as we completed the loop, Heddy found a large grasshopper hiding in the tall grass. I got in for some photos while the animal stayed still.
As we rode around the path, smaller grasshoppers leaped out of the way. There was one at my feet in the parking lot.
No comments:
Post a Comment