Sunday, March 25, 2012

Housewife for a Weekend

25 March 2012

I don't know how normal people do this.  I tend to let these things pile up until I get a bike-free weekend to come down to earth and take care of this stuff.

Jack has been down with a fever since Friday evening, and I was on a self-imposed exercise-free weekend.  Not quite sure what do do with myself, this is what I ended up doing:

1.  baked cookies for a visit to Jack's mother's house, which didn't happen, so I'm carting them off to the lab;

2.  did a henna treatment on my hair while I was baking, leaving it in way too long, so that parts of my hair are flaming orange;

3.  slept for something like nine hours, only waking from tinnitus once (a new tone has joined the chorus);

4.  drank strong coffee and listened for the tinnitus to return to its caffeinated volume;

5.  shortened a beaded watch, replaced the face, mailed it off to a first-time customer in California, and brought home a pile of meds for Jack's apparent flu;

6.  washed windows, inside and out, and washed a few sets of curtains;

7.  went food shopping;

8.  ordered a zillion beading-style watch faces online; 

9.  made soup, from a mix, in the slow-cooker until midnight;

10.  tried to sleep even though I wasn't tired and woke up five times to focus on the tinnitus;

11.  cleaned my ears, releasing a huge gob of wax (ew!) in the loud one, hoped this might help at bedtime, and wondered if I should get behind-the-ear aids when I go for a fitting in a week;

12.  got my hair cut (an inch or two!  too short!)

13.  mopped the hallways and kitchen;

14.  did laundry;

15.  vacuumed;

16.  paid bills; 

17.  realized all that was missing from this frightfully dull weekend was that I hadn't scrubbed any toilets;

18.  scrubbed toilets;

19.  changed the batteries in the smoke and carbon monoxide detectors;

20.  began work on what will be a very expensive necklace;

21.  and wrote an exceedingly dull blog entry.

Wanna know why I ride?  All of the above!


2 comments:

Plain_Jim said...

1) Flaming red hair? I can't wait...
2) New tones in the tinnitus? Do you have a chord, or do they come and go?

Our Lady of Perpetual Headwinds said...

1. It calms down after a few days.

2. No harmony, I'm afraid. There's a regular group of sounds and a few that come and go. When the regulars get louder, I know it's because I've done something to provoke it: caffeine, chocolate, NSAIDS, and even humidity will make tinnitus louder. So will clenching my jaw in my sleep (stuff gets inflamed). My tinnitus is the result of genetic hearing loss. My grandmother had the same thing (I have a copy of her last hearing test, when she was in her 90's). I've had it all my life, but it got significantly louder in my mid-20's, which is when I got my first real hearing test. It took me a few months to stop panicking and get used to the sounds. It takes work to learn to distract oneself from it. So far I've just been using white noise from a ceiling fan and mental tricks. There may come a day when those are not enough and I'll need louder and more finely-tuned white noise to keep from focusing on it. Some day I might also stop wandering around in the wilderness and get some professional advice. Meanwhile, I'm just gonna keep on being that tough chick everyone thinks I am...