Thursday, May 24, 2012

PNI at GFS


24 May 2012

The lab I work in is part of the Princeton Neuroscience Institute.  Yesterday was the institute's quasi-annual retreat, the first I'd been to.  It was held at the conference center at the Grounds for Sculpture in Hamilton.  It was all science, all day long, but when we had chances to wander around, we took them.

I've posted pictures of some of the sculptures on this blog before.  Looking back, some of them were better than the ones I took yesterday, despite their pre-smartphone fuzziness.

This is the pond and waterfall near the restaurant, Rat's:





I wasn't paying much attention to where we were.  The fun of the place is in the wandering.



There are peacocks all over.  Some were hanging out by the windows of the conference center, hopping onto the outdoor tables and calling (they sound like cats).  Others were by the indoor exhibit hall.



I went wandering a second time with a lab manager from upstairs.  We were deep in conversation when we saw the albino:





The third time I was back with my lab-mates.



I didn't think this one was going to come out well, and it didn't.  It's a sculpture of a painter who is painting the sculptures by the lake.  To keep the scene matching the painting, the flowering plants by the water are sculptures too.


My favorite sculptures in the park are twelve whimsical creatures by Dana Stewart.













This reminds me of a much more orderly version of the Hall of Mirrors.


A stand of bamboo hides a rabbit.


In the same building that holds the conference center was an exhibit of work by Ming Fay.


In the evening, while the retreat was winding down, I took pictures of the pond outside of the conference center.



At home, while Jack was telling me about his day, I took pictures of the roses that are growing over our neighbor's fence, into our yard.





This one's ours.  It's not so pink in real life.




No comments: