Friday, June 9, 2023

Maine 2023 Part 2: Ogunquit Sunrise 1


For real!

9 June 2023

I stumbled out of bed at 4:45 the day after Memorial Day. I'd never seen the sun rise over open ocean before. It hadn't even occurred to me to walk or drive to the beach. We had a second-floor balcony at the edge of the river. It was good enough for my half-awake body.







Halifax, Nova Scotia, was on fire. The smoke was drifting down to us as a brownish haze on the horizon.




















Zooming in with a shorter exposure made the sky darker and a deeper orange than it really was, but it was the only way I knew to capture the sun as it appeared over the ocean and through the haze.









Zooming out was much less dramatic.





Whoah! There was some crazy distortion going on over there,



as if the sun were a gather of hot glass being pulled onto a pipe from the furnace.  (Sorry.)









When the sun got too bright for my minimum exposure (1/2500 sec), I went back inside, pulled the curtains, and fell asleep for a few hours. When Jack finally woke me up, he'd already showered at it was well past 8:00 a.m.
 

1 comment:

frallen2002@yahoo.com said...

Hi, Laura. If the sunrises weren't caused by the tragedy of the Canadian wildfires I'd have said the ones you've captured in your photos are beautiful. On the other hand some of the images in which you've zoomed in would have been terrifying in any case because they remind me of the images in films about nuclear apocalypse like "The Day After". (Rememer that one?).

I can only hope that since so many people on the East Coast were exposed to the smog and soot more people will think and act on behalf of our precious and precarious ecosystem. (In my part of Jersey the air quality laid me flat with a migraine Thursday and Friday. I was very glad to catch a break today, and be able to go out with James). I hope you and Jack were able to enjoy some of the great outdoors in Bar Harbor since I remember that you mentioned it being unseasonably cold earlier. I've always lived your nature photography taken there.