Sunday, June 18, 2023

Maine Part 15: Schooner Head and Seal Harbor

Wet Cormorants in Frenchman Bay

18 June 2023

The cloud mass that settled over Maine had no intention of leaving. The day we checked out was the same as the day before.




By now I'd figured out that I could guess the wind and rain forecast by whether or not the Margaret Todd was still anchored in the bay, away from her dock. Bar Harbor was looking at another week of this.


Tubby the maintenance raft was still out there too.


As was the pilot boat. 



There were a handful of floating docks in the bay to the east of the harbor. The gulls and cormorants clearly favored one over the others, although not always the same one.


Before we checked out, I posted my usual "anon, fretful porpentines" photos, this time adding that they owed me days of good weather.



I wasn't aware at the time that the cloud mass settled over Maine was the one thing keeping us from breathing the smoke from the 400-odd fires burning in Quebec. 

Before we left the island, we drove to Schooner Head, which is becoming the thing I do each time we leave. Schooner Head is south; the road off the island is north. We weren't in a hurry to get to Portland, though. Jack stayed in the car while I walked down the path in a drizzle.



That's a house on the point over there. 


The closest view of the Egg Rock lighthouse is from here.



That's a raindrop on the lens to the left of the treetop.





Another raindrop ruined this picture.




There's a raindrop center left.







Instead of doubling back, we drove farther south to cover the part of the island I'd missed during yesterday's drive. I stopped for a few minutes at Seal Harbor.





We circled north again, taking the road from Northeast Harbor that I'd turned the wrong way on the day before. 

We stopped at Global Beverage in Ellsworth because they're the only ones who regularly stock the only sour beer I like: Allagash Coolship. 

Then we drove on, in and out of rain, to Portland.
 

No comments: