Monday, June 12, 2023

Maine 2023 Part 9: Bar Harbor Sunrise

Halifax wildfire haze over Frenchman Bay at dawn

12 June 2023

I woke before my alarm again. The Halifax haze was back. The Margaret Todd was moored in the harbor instead of at her dock. With high winds and rain in the forecast, there would be no sailing today.


I wondered if I'd even see the sun come up behind all those clouds.


I waited.




The pink sky reflected on still water.







Then a sliver of sun appeared over a layer of hazy clouds.























My phone couldn't handle the sunlight.





When I woke up again after 8:00, the air was warm and humid. We decided to skip the hotel's inculded breakfast and walk over to Two Cats on Cottage Street. I was wishing I'd worn my shorts. We sat outside under the roof of the front porch.


 As we ate, a breeze picked up and the temperature dropped. The forecast was positively iffy on the rain.

I stopped in at the bike shop across the street and had a long chat with a guy who must have been the owner. He seemed to be the Michael Johnson of Wheelfine sort, and old soul who, like me, was giving the side-eye to all this electronic business. But business it was, so there he was. I bought a pair of socks and some fingerless gloves for half of what I'd have paid online. 

We walked back to the hotel. I stared at the ocean some more and made plans for the day.

No comments: