Saturday, June 10, 2023

Maine 2023 Part 6: Bar Harbor Sunrise

Halifax Smoke over Frenchman Bay

10 June 2023

Halifax was still on fire. I woke up before the alarm to see a gray-pink haze on the horizon.


For years I've been watching the small stand of trees at the western tip of Sheep Porcupine Island. They've been dying slowly. Now one was ready to tip over.




Through the haze I found the Egg Rock lighthouse.














Sunrise was at 4:57, but it takes a few minutes for it to appear above the islands.


I zoomed in with a short exposure again. The colors look deeper than they were.

















There's the 5 a.m. lobster boat. Even without my hearing aids (I don't bother to put them in for this), I can hear the motor long before the boat appears. This gives me plenty of time to set up the shot and wait for the boat to enter the frame.










When the sun was too bright to photograph, I went back to sleep.

Jack woke me a few hours later. The Porcupines rested in calm water under a cool, blue sky. 




 It was perfect weather for a bike ride up Cadillac Mountain.

No comments: